Thursday, September 29, 2005

Thanks for stopping by

I recently signed up for one of those monitor-your-webtraffic whatchamacallits (yes, that is the technical term, btw), and it's been far more entertaining than I originally anticipated.

First off, I get far more hits per day than I originally thought. Granted, I suspect most of these are the same ten or so people coming back to compulsively check my blog to see if I've updated yet -- and then leaving seconds later disappointed that I haven't added something insightful or witty for ages. Let me take the opportunity now to apologize to anyone who's been left in a lurch because I've failed to post something entertaining. The upside for those of you who stop by is that this new monitor-your-webtraffic thingamabob will probably encourage me to update more often, if only to see the effect on daily traffic.

Additionally, I have plenty of random visitors. Most of these are, I'm guessing, poor souls who stumbled upon this site due to randomly clicking on a link from one of my fellow bloggers (Brendan, Derek, and Brooke are my most frequent referrers). In addition to these visitors, there are also some people who happen upon my blog due to a google search gone terribly wrong. I looked into this, and was amazed to discover that if you perform a google search for "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal" or "ICBING," my site tops the results.

But wait, there's more! The cool monitor-your-webtraffic doodad also lets you know the location of your visitors (based on ISP address). I've had visitors from coast-to-coast here in the states, and even from such far-off distant lands as Brazil, the Netherlands, Norway, and the Phillipines. Arguend-Ho has gone global!

3 comments:

D said...

What service are you using and how much does it cost?

Alex said...

I'm using Site Meter, and it's free for the basic service. (They also sell packages that include extra features, but I don't really need any of that stuff.)

nugatory said...

Yo, Aho! I'm one of your compulsive readers.

It's funny. I have the sitemeter, too. I think like 10 people came to my blog yesterday. I'm super popular. KP doesn't even read the blog. He thinks blogs are "weird."

Football! Football! Football!