Friday, September 16, 2005

Irish Football

Well, tomorrow is the first ND home game, and after winning two games on the road against (arguably) respectable opponents, the atmosphere here is bound to be high spirited and all-around crazy. I skipped out on the big pep rally this afternoon, but I did get to see the ND band perform and rally the cheers of students and visiting alums alike. Emily regaled me with stories of the band (she's a band alum from her undergrad days at ND), and we discussed everything from the personality traits associated with various instruments to why all the tuba players are named Hank.

It'll also be my first time attending a game here at ND (Unlike last year, this time around I bought season tickets. All the cool kids were doing it. I decided to draw the line when they started talking about some bridge off of which they were planning on jumping. I'm not
that much of a lemming.) ND is playing Michigan State, so all the fans who have balked against the new "The Shirt" (because it's yellow) will show up in green. Granted it's probably a different shade of green as compared to Michigan State's colors, but it's still going to be a bit weird.

Hopefully Michigan State will put up a good but ultimately futile fight. After the game, one of my 2L classmates, Dmytro, is hosting a big party. Apparently jello wrestling is to be one of the featured events. Since Brendan will undoubtedly be there, camera in tow, to document the festivities, I strongly encourage anyone contemplating a future in public office not to participate.

No comments: