Monday, January 17, 2005

A long overdue post

My apologies for the long absence. Apparently there are a few of you out there who actually missed reading my entries, especially while sitting in class.

The first week back is now out of the way, and I've finally secured all my books, know what last semester's grades are, and generally adjusted to a new schedule. ConLaw's been less exciting than I originally expected until today, when two of my fellow classmates engaged in an interesting debate over the role of SCOTUS. One debator even cut off our prof a few times, prompting her to chide him that in a courtroom he'd be expected to show greater deference to authority.

Property's been more interesting than I anticipated. In addition to reading cases about foxes, whales, ducks, and lobsters, today we had a rousing discussion on acquiring parking spaces and errant baseballs. Professor Garnett also has a sarcastic streak that I find amusing (which reminds me a little of Honor).

Second helpings of CivPro and Contracts are about what I expected so far. Legal writing is still annoying in that it still meets at 8 in the morning, but the case we will be working on seems pretty interesting so far (though I may soon come to loathe Emma and her idiopathic scoliosis, much as I cannot help but shudder whenever I hear the name Jani Weston). And Depositions is pretty much the same as last semester (it is the exact same class, only with a few new profs and all new students), except I know a lot more about what's going on.

I'll also be assisting the TrialAd course this semester, acting as one of the 1L "jury commissioners." I had a lunch meeting with Professor Seckinger and company today, and it sounds like it'll be an interesting time.

But the big news around the law school is the start of the Law School Bowling League. This is a pretty big thing here at NDLS, and I'd say the vast majority of people I know are participating. We'll go bowling almost every Thursday this semester, and they'll keep track of how the various teams do. Some teams have picked out clever names like "Splitigation," "Motion to Strike," "Holy Rollers," and "Six Drunks and a Ringer." So far my team's name is the rather uninspired "The Bowlers." Really? Is that the best we can do? I say we can come up with something more amusing. Sure, many of the good law/bowling puns may be taken, but no one said it had to fit that mold. We don't have to go super-law-geek and name ourselves "12b6" or "Proximate Cause." We could go only somewhat geeky with something like "Palsgraf's Pins." Or just something else entirely - based at least on my bowling prowess, I suggest "Mostly Harmless."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex:

As co-counsel on your poorly-named bowling team, allow me to add my suggestions:

I can't believe it's not gutter.
Spare Decisis
Reasonably Foreseeabowl
Gutterball per se

Chris

D said...

With as bad as Alex bowls, I would strongly endorse "I can't believe it's not gutter."

Nice work Chris.