Thursday, November 11, 2004

Career Services, or Job v. London

As if there isn't enough going on here at law school these days - legal writing memos, legal research final, profs trying to catch up to the syllabus, and finals just around the next bend - we're supposed to start looking for summer jobs soon.

Later this month, the Career Services Office (CSO) sponsors a huge resume drop, in which they flood the inboxes of various firms with all the 1Ls begging for summer work. Such positions are highly coveted for two reasons: 1) they are hard to come by (supply/demand, anyone?); and 2) they actually pay. Of course, there are other options for summer work. There are non-paying jobs in public interests, NPOs, etc. Then there are judicial externships, which are unpaid but prestigious because they are difficult to get. And though the non-firm jobs don't pay, there are ways to finance the summer so that you don't have to subsist solely on Ramen noodles and the occasional lime (you know, to avoid getting scurvy). Any work is good work, since it is imperative to develop experience, recommendations, and writing samples during the first summer.

Now for the proverbial catch: I was planning on studying abroad in London this summer, but most firms aren't interested in someone only able to work half the summer. The non-profits and other unpaid positions tend to be a bit more flexible.

I met with a CSO rep, Erika, yesterday to discuss getting a job for this summer. She recommended some changes to my resume (including adding that I have some foreign language ability - I might have to brush up on my French; you know, in all the spare time I have) We discussed where I was interested in working (most likely Ohio), and the problem of juggling London with summer employment. She more or less suggested that I rethink London, especially if I manage to get an offer from a firm. She also said that the other London option - studying there for the entire second year - probably wasn't viable unless I get a firm offer of 2L summer employment before I go. While it is possible to do some interviewing before and from London, callbacks would be something of a problem and most firms prefer to talk to candidates face-to-face rather than via phone or teleconference.

So what does this all amount to? Well, I plan to at least apply to several big firms. I'll know if they're interested in me before I have to apply to the London programme. I'll also apply to the various other employment options, and if they choose to hire me I'll discuss the possibility of working half the summer. As much as I would really, really like to go to merry ol' England this summer, I don't want to shoot my future career in the foot. And as Erika noted yesterday, there may be time after I take the dreaded bar exam (I don't even want to think about that right now) to get in some travel. If I don't have to start working right after graduation...

2 comments:

D said...

Looking for an internship? Might I suggest:

Ho, Miller, and Walden
-Shamelessly representing anyone who is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt at shameless rates that raise only the slightest of reasonable doubts

And that is all I have to say about that!

Alex said...

"We're reasonable doubt for a reasonable fee."
-- The Practice