Monday, November 22, 2004

Acceleration

Imagine you're on a deserted country road lined by telephone poles. You start driving, and you watch as the telephone poles slowly pass your car. As the car picks up speed, the poles pass by faster and faster. Soon you're careening along at break-neck speed and the telephone poles are nothing but a blur. That's how things seem to be progressing at the moment. No sooner do I finish one thing, another pops up to take its place. It's the mythical Hydra meets pop-a-mole.

This past Friday was the first 1L exam, Legal Research. Like my classmates, I'd logged quite a few hours studying for this one credit, one hour exam. Why? Mostly because there was so much material that could be on the exam. I think it went fairly well, but it's hard to say for sure. While the ten citation problems were straightforward, the bulk of the exam consisted of T/F and evil multiple choice. Why evil you ask? Here are your options: a, b, c, a&b, a&c, b&c, all of the above, none of the above, q. Ok, so there weren't any q's. But I think you get the point.

After I finished the exam, there was little time for celebration, as my second memo to the court for Legal Writing was due on Monday. I devoted the better part of my weekend to it, and handed it in this morning.

One might think that with two big events behind me that there might finally be a time to catch my breath. Not so fast- tomorrow I submit resumes to the Career Services Office law firm resume drop. I'm still deciding which firms I'd most like to send my resume to (read: receive rejection letters from). I figure an initial volley of 50 resumes should suffice for now. That's just to law firms; the drops/mailings for Federal Work Study programs, Alumni Funded Fellowships, Public Interest jobs, and Judicial Clerkships will come later.

Of course, there are finals to look forward to as well. At least Thanksgiving break is just around the corner. Getting to see Honor, family, and a few friends will be nice. Not to mention food. And maybe a little R&R. Then it'll be back to the breakneck speeds of the law school rat race. I don't mind the telephone poles racing past. At least, as long as I don't hit one.

No comments: