Tuesday, September 28, 2004

"Typo" Pet Peeves

A few pet peeves regarding misuse of the English language.

1. to/too (and occasionally two): to = preposition (give it to me); too = to a great extent, or also (you think i talk too much? me too!); two = 2

2. its/it's: its = possessive (a dog wags its tail); it's = it is (look, it's a dog!)

3. lose/loose: lose = to misplace or be deprived possession of (i'm going to lose my mind); loose = not tight, or to set free, or not contained (if the gate is too loose, it will loose the cows, who will then be loose)

4. their/there/they're: their = possessive (they lost their jobs); there = a place (go over there); they're = they are or they were (they're going to the store)

There are certainly more, but these have been the ones that have popped out at me lately (especially on other people's blogs).

1 comment:

D said...

Are you talking about me, becasue we all know that all my speeling mitsakes arr intintshonel.

How about this though? If there gate is two lose, it's owners will lose the cows, who will then be lose from they're too owners.