Friday, September 17, 2004

Revelations

Today was a day of several revelations. Not about the law per se, but how things work in my classes. First was LegWri. Our prof has dedicated the next week of her office hours to meet with students one on one to discuss our memo project and to answer our questions. These little sessions come in 15 minute increments, and each person in the class gets one time slot. Today I had my appointment.

There's a commercial on ESPN where a football fan treks to the top of a mountain and finds a cave. Two sherpa-looking guys are standing outside (one of them is named Jan Darpa). They tell him that he can ask one question of the mystic gurus inside. Inside the cave are ESPN's College GameDay announcers, Fowler, Corso, and Herbstreit (Go Bucks!). The fan asks something about whether the west coast offense will revive Nebraska. Lee Corso replies: "Does a condor rise from his ashes?" The fan looks puzzled for a moment, then asks, "Do you mean a phoenix?" Instead of an answer, the sherpas shout back that he's only allowed one question. A monkey sounds a gong and the commercial's over.

Well, that's kind of what the 15 minute session was like. A few cryptic answers in a ridiculously short period of time. I did get a little more direction though, so I'm feeling a bit better about LegWri overall. The first memo isn't graded, so I'll just check my ego and try to learn from all the red marks I'm anticipating on my bleeding, wounded memo. At least that's the idea.

The next revelation: there are review sessions for all my substantive classes. They're taught by 2Ls who had the same professor (when possible) for the subject last year. Apparently these review sessions have been going on for a few weeks now and no one bothered to tell 95% of the class. I only found out by eavesdropping in the locker room. I immediately emailed the Director of Student Services, and when that stalled, dropped by his office. To make a long story short, I'm now in those review sessions. The one I went to today for Torts was sparsely attended, owing, I figure, to the fact that almost no one knows these things exist. I feel I'm a little bit behind in only learning of this now, but I still seem to be ahead of the curve.


No comments: