Friday, July 01, 2005

Zebra crossings and Moosehead beer
















Today I set out on a trek to visit Abbey Road, which features this crosswalk made famous by the Beatles.


Abbey Road is a bit of a hike from the parts of London I've been thus far. It's more or less nestled in a small suburban residential district northwest of the heart of the city.

It took me a little while to get there and find it, and it looks different than it does on the album. There were a few tourists there, snapping pictures like me. I even arranged a quid pro quo with another tourist who, like me, wanted a picture walking the crosswalk. This isn't quite as easy as it sounds -- Abbey Road is actually quite a busy little street. I imagine motorists must get sick of all the tourists who flock to the intersection just to walk back and forth across the road to get their picture taken in mimic of the Beatles album. Due to the traffic, it's pretty much impossible to duplicate the shot, which looks to have been taken from the middle of the street itself. Also, I wasn't wearing anything resembling the clothes sported by George, Paul, Ringo, and John. (And sorry, I'm definitely not going to cross the road barefoot.)

After this little excursion, I headed to the Canadian embassy which was throwing a bash in honor of Canada Day. Everyone (Canadian or not) was invited. In addition to free booze, there was cake and fudge and some live entertainment. I didn't stay for everything (especially since they ran out of beer), but I did see a comedy troupe perform a fifteen minute version of
Romeo and Juliet. It was quite amusing.

You can see photographic evidence of today's excursions here.

That's all the sightseeing for today. Tomorrow I head off to Stonehenge and Bath, and I hope to have more pictures and stories to share on Sunday.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Ah, the Smartcar. If by chance you happen upon a Smartcar dealership which has the cars displayed Matchbox car-style, try to get a picture of it. Gotta love the Playschool cars.

Anonymous said...

I do not think so.