Wednesday, July 06, 2005

London 2012! (French surrender)

London won the bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics. Moscow, New York, and Madrid were eliminated first, bringing it down to London and Paris. Paris had been considered the favorite going into today, but London came out on top. I was sitting in EU Law at the time, in a classroom considered to be a wireless dead zone in the law school. However, the cheers from outside (Trafalgar Square, which has seemingly been ground zero for London's countdown) and jets flying overhead pretty much told the story.

I'm about to leave the law school and walk back to the dorms, so I'll be passing Trafalgar Square. This morning they had set up a stage and some giant television screens for people to watch the countdown and live announcement of the Olympic selection committee's decision. I'll post again when I get back to the dorms with an update on the craziness.

UPDATE: Trafalgar Square was packed with people. It may have been the first time I've seen the square with more people than pigeons. I couldn't really tell what was going on down on the main stage, but that's where everyone seemed to be looking. There's also a big "Thank You" banner over the stage. I had seen that this morning as I walked to class, and thought it was a little presumptuous to put that up before the decision was announced. Unless maybe the organizers knew something the rest of us did not?

No comments: