Friday, July 08, 2005

The Day After

After a fitful slumber (due mostly to boisterous undergrads down the hall), I awoke a little later than I wanted. I decided to forego breakfast and head to class. We had received an email last night assuring us that class would go on as planned.

Tavistock Square was still roped off this morning, and there was a strong police presence. After booking it down to Trafalgar Square, I arrived at the law school only to find out that classes had been cancelled. Apparently students had been told that if they left Connaught Hall they would not be permitted to return. I hadn't gotten the message; perhaps it was made during breakfast. I wasn't the only student to come in today. But Professor Moens didn't see a point in having a class for seven people. The director of the programme, Professor Bennett, was reportedly headed to the dorm to check on the situation.

Outside Tavistock Square, things have pretty much gotten back to normal. Traffic and bus service has resumed. I'm not sure what the status of the Underground is at the moment. There did seem to be a slightly increased wariness, but that could have just been me.

Several NDLS students have been quoted in today's edition of the South Bend Tribune. A reporter had left a comment on Brendan's blog asking for those of us over here to call or email our experiences to her. Brendan conveyed this message to us via email. You can read her article here (in which I'm quoted), as well as a firsthand student account here.

1 comment:

D said...

You're famous... in South Bend.

It could be worse. I'm just glad you're ok. In case you are curious, the incident remains all over the news here in the US.

Good luck trying to study.