Sunday, December 12, 2004

And the Hits just keep on comin'...

Ok, I know it's been a little while since I last posted (because of this whole "finals" thing). But since I've done enough studying for CivPro that I think I might recite Rule 12 in my sleep tonight, I figured I should take a little break and post an update.

We're in the middle of finals season. It sucks. A lot.

I took my first "real" law school exam on Friday. Contracts. Who knew three hours could fly by so quickly? The exam was a little different from what I was expecting from looking through Rougeau's old exams and talking to 2Ls. And I honestly have no idea how I did. I didn't feel great about it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't fail it either. Really, that's about all I've got. And I bolted as soon as the exam was over. I had no desire to post-mortem the test to death with a bunch of other 1Ls who have no idea how they did. Just hearing people talking about it in the hallways as I made my exit was annoying enough.

The law school's become ground zero for stress, anxiety, and all-around craziness. I'm not studing there at all this week. I'll go to the other libraries, hole up in my apartment, go to a bookstore... anywhere that isn't the law school. I plan to be there for the exams themselves, and that's it.

To make things even better, I got my first law firm rejection letter today. One down, a whole bunch to go. Hopefully the stream of rejections won't be enough to make me want to desert civilization and become a nomadic wanderer like Derek. If I don't get a job with a firm this summer, I'll probably end up volunteering my time to get some law-related experience, and I might still go study abroad in London. Career services did say that London's something to consider if my grades could use a boost...

Ok, enough doom and gloom. Back to studying for the three remaining finals. This time next week, it'll all be over...


3 comments:

Brad said...

Just remember, no matter how you ended up doing on your final, contracts is the devil. When I think of contracts, I see it running around with horns, a spikey tail (not unlike a tricertops), and a trident. Its quite a funny picture actually, a law school subject running around like a human with horns and a tail, and two red arms holding a little trident of the same color as the arms, tail, and horns. But hey, whatever, the important part is that contracts is the devil.

Interested in a little mock trial reunion, 2005 style?

Alex said...

That is a funny mental image. But I have to point out that the Triceratops does not have a spiky tail. Perhaps you're thinking of Stegosaurus?

And we should definitely arrange a little reunion over break. I'll be out of town for the first week after I finish up here. And there's also a bevy of law firm holiday social/cocktail receptions that I'll be attending and networking and hobnobbing (read: begging for a job). But I'm sure we can work something out for the end of December or first week of January.

Brad said...

We should definitely try to do something. Although I was specifically referring to http://derekwalden.com/blog/2004/12/one-rejection-away-from-2000-miles.html#comments