Monday, October 25, 2004

Round 2

After a relaxing week off, it's back to the daily grind.

It was a good fall break. I probably drove more in the past week than I have for months. I caught up on sleep, went to rink a few times, ate a couple home cooked meals, and caught up with friends and family. Some of the week's highlights:

Spent time with Honor. She's pretty busy with school right now, but we did get a chance to hang out while I was home. We had a nice dinner out for our 2.5 year anniversary one night, and had yummy Catfish Biff's pizza and saw Garden State (a good movie that I highly recommend) on another night. She also got her LSAT scores back, and did very well. Honor will be applying to law schools soon, so here's a question you can comment to: Where will/should Honor go to law school?

I made a trek down to Cincinnati to see Derek. We ate at Skyline, discussed philosophy, and generally "talked as men do." (His words.) We also played pool. Badly. Very badly. Although the initial plan was to check out Billy Bob's Billiard Emporium (not the real name), we soon learned to Derek's chagrin that the Emporium was not a pool hall but rather a billiards table retailer. It was also closed. Instead we played in the backroom of a sketchy bowling alley; basically, where bad pool should be played. Oh, and Derek and I also watched I Heart Huckabees, a somewhat strange but altogether enjoyable movie.

I attended a Kerry speech/rally with Honor's mom. It was my first time seeing him speak in person. After a long wait and getting through security, we got to listen to him talk about the value of science and stem cell research. It was a good speech, and addressed some important points that have been greatly overshadowed by other issues in this year's election.
On a related note, my absentee ballot arrived in South Bend while I was gone, so I filled it out last night and mailed it today. I'll describe it more in a later post.

Notre Dame beat Navy, then lost a close game to Boston College. OSU lost to Iowa, then snapped the losing streak by beating Indiana soundly. While I had at least one team win each weekend, now both teams have fallen out of the top 25.

Okay, I think that's about it for now. My practice exams and graded memo will be returned this week, so wish me luck on that. Then I'll really know how things are going...

1 comment:

D said...

It was the West Chester Billards Centre, jackass. And I still maintain that if it would have been open, we could have played pool there (for free) had we only pretended to be buying a pool table.

"Oh yes, my friend and I are considering buying a pool table for our bachelor pad and we would like to play many games of pool on each table before possibly purchasing one...today...right now...with all the money we don't have...and take it home on top of our Avalon...and do you have some beer...or pizza"

And "sketchy bowling alley"? Come on that place is the pride of Princeton. Pool, 12 dollars. Beer, 7 dollars. Skipping the cue ball off the table 4 times while listening to Michael Bolton on the jukebox? You guessed it, Priceless.