Saturday, November 18, 2006

My friends are AWESOME

It's been a really good day. Notre Dame crushed Army, and it was a lot of fun watching my last home game as a student here at ND. The Irish broke out the green jerseys - an interesting call. I like them, but they're thought to be cursed. When Notre Dame has used the green jerseys in the past - often in big games - the Irish tend to lose. But this game was supposed to be a sure thing, so we figured this was a way to break the curse and improve the green jerseys' record. But when the Irish started the game looking sluggish and Army jumped out to a 3-0 lead, we were worried. Luckily the team got their act together and ultimately prevailed 41-9.

And Ohio State won The Game - defeating archrival Michigan and clinching a spot in the National Championship. But the big news of the day is that I got to see the entire OSU-Michigan game today despite going to the ND-Army game. How you ask?


Because I have AWESOME friends. Right around the end of the first quarter of today's ND game, Brooke, Adam, Meghan, and Alina (in absentia) surprised me with an incredible gift - a pocket TV to watch The Game with. I wasn't the only person in the stadium watching a portable TV, but I became pretty popular with people seeking updates on the college football duel of the year. (Strangely enough, the ND game announcers didn't give very many updates on the OSU-Michigan game.*)

After the ND game, we headed back to Brooke's for Tortilla Soup (delicious, especially after a long day of standing in the cold) and to watch the end of The Game. Despite an explosive opening (Ohio State led 28-14 at halftime), it was a nail biter of an ending. Michigan played much better in the second half, and OSU had three turnovers. The Wolverines managed to pull within three points, but the Buckeyes held on for the win, 42-39.

So it's been a great day of college football, made even greater by my friends. So here's to Brooke, Meghan, Adam, and Alina - you rock.

* UPDATE: Apparently it was ND coach Weis's decision to not announce the OSU-Michigan score during the game:

"To make sure the Irish weren't focusing on anything else, Weis ordered that the Michigan-Ohio State score not be announced during the game."


But I think they did give at least one score update during the game... so who knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go BUCKS! I was down at tailgates the whole day getting free beer and food :) It's amazing that people at the tailgates have a nicer TV in their van then I have in my living room :(