Saturday, November 04, 2006

MPREally?

So I took the MPRE today. You can probably imagine how psyched I was to spend my Saturday morning taking a standardized test on legal ethics. At least it's a short test - 60 multiple choice questions in about two hours. But in the grand tradition of all law-related examinations, it's almost impossible to figure out how it went. I've heard that everyone comes out of the test feeling nervous and unsure about how they did. From my experience and in talking with some of my friends, I'd say that assessment is dead on. I won't go into the nuts and bolts of it, but I'll just say that it wasn't quite like the practice tests I took while preparing. But 10 of the 60 questions are "experimental" and don't count, so I'm hoping the thornier problems fell into that category.

I also have to say that in my extensive experience with standardized tests, this one did not seem to run as smoothly as I would have expected. Usually there's a set routine, and the proctor goes through things methodically and mechanically. Maybe our proctor was just less experienced, or maybe the MPRE instructions aren't as scripted. But from the casual offering of #2 pencils to determining when to hand out the test booklets to dealing with addresses too long for the allocated space on the answer sheet, things just weren't handled in the regimented way I've come to expect from standardized tests. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, just different.

So as for this whole MPRE thing... I'm not sure what else to say. I'll get my results back in about five weeks and then I'll know which states think I'm ethical enough to practice in their jurisdiction. And, well, I could always take the MPRE again in March...

3 comments:

Brad said...

The MPRE does kind of seem to me like a crap shoot. Determining how well you did is tough, if not almost impossible. I'm sure though you will score high enough to be considered ethical in every state though.

Which states did you end up sending your score to?

Ruvym said...

I'll have you know that NY and (I think) CA require the highest level of ethicicity. So that just tells you how damn ethical I am because I passed. Had the same experiences though, with not knowing how I did. I think the test is a load of crap because didn't we learn from high school that multiple choice questioning is bullshit, especially when your testing ethics?

Alex said...

Ruvym,
NY does have one of the highest MPRE requirements at 85. CA only requires a 79. But I agree that the test is pretty crazy, especially when for most of the questions I'd like to write in an additional choice like "Don't get yourself into the situation in the first place" or "I would consult with another attorney in determining the proper course of action."


Brad,
I didn't send my MPRE score to any states. But I did list the District of Columbia.