Wednesday, April 12, 2006

If I had a hammer... I'd probably pound the podium.

Sometimes it can be good to be a rising 3L - at least when it comes to scheduling. There are no other classes ahead of us, so we get the first crack at next fall's lineup. (Not that they're teaching law next year at our law school. Catholic Social Thought? Mercy and Justice? International Art Law? Maybe it is possible to be sick the day they teach law at law school.) Fortunately my registration time was early enough to get all of the classes I wanted. The only one I was worried about was the Legal Aid Clinic, which has far fewer spots than any other class. (Still, it wasn't the first class to fill up - that honor belongs to Sports and Inequality.)

Besides the clinic, the class I'm most excited about is a little course called Law and Psychology. I think I'll make it my personal goal to bring up Abraham Maslow at least once by the end of the semester. Double points for using my favorite quote.

Classes are winding down, which means soon it'll be time for the pre-finals crunch. But before we all go insane, we do get a temporary reprieve in the form of Easter Break - essentially a long weekend. But not all of my classes will be making a mad dash to finish off the syllabus. In my International Dispute Resolution class we'll be conducting a mock negotiation to create part of a mock multilateral environmental treaty. I never got to play mock UN in school, so I guess this will be the next best thing. I'll be representing fair Britannia. It's too bad that I don't have a British (or even faux-British) accent. I was secretly hoping to be assigned to the Russian delegation so that I could hammer the podium with my shoe. But since I'll be representing the UK, I'll have to act much more dignified. Maybe if things get too heated I can make the civilized suggestion that we all break for tea.

No comments: