Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Spring Break Update

I'm blogging this morning via wireless (as opposed to the dreaded dial-up connection); many thanks to the neighbors. :) Actually, I'm just glad that my wireless is working again. Yesterday I took my laptop to a Panera up in Columbus, only to have problems connecting. My computer would tell me that it was connected, but I had no IP address and couldn't use the connection in any way. Well, it turns out I didn't have the correct driver installed.

When Dell sent me my new hard drive and support software, the CD with the drivers and utilities didn't have my model (Inspiron 8600) listed. (This is probably because Dell doesn't make the 8600 anymore, so they don't have the associated stuff kicking around anymore.) But there were some drivers that were supposedly compatible with the hardware I have, so I installed those. Last night I found my old diagnostic discs (the ones that originally came with my computer), and after reinstalling the proper drivers everything seems to be working fine.

I also found a copy of Word Perfect, so I'll be able to read any files that my professors send in wpd format. So all in all, things are looking up for my computer.

I also got to skate yesterday. It was my first time back on the ice in many, many moons. I stuck to dance, so no jumps and spins. Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous I'll try a little freestyle in a few days. But for now it just felt good to be back out on the ice.

Not much else to report. The weather's been a bit crazy here - fluctuating temperatures, wicked wind, huge thunderstorms - but I guess the whole country is experiencing meteorological weirdness right now. Otherwise, things are pretty quiet here in Ohio.

1 comment:

Ruvym said...

Why no skating for so long?