Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Alex on XL commercials

Yes, I went to a Superbowl party. Susan and David hosted a fine shindig in the clubhouse of their apartment complex. Five TVs, a pool table, ping-pong table, cards, plenty of snacks and even a pinata. All in all, quite festive. Good times.

I didn't really watch much of the game. I spent most of my time playing pool and euchre. But I did catch some of the famed commercials. (For a complete recap on advertising's holy day, see Derek's recaps here and here.) But of the commercials I did see, here are my thoughts.

My five favorites:
1. Mastercard's MacGyver commercial - Because Richard Dean Anderson can save the world on a shoestring budget (pun intended). The final scene of the commercial with MacGyver at the checkout lane: priceless. I suggest a sequel in which a captured MacGyver uses his credit card to cut himself loose, unlock a door, and disarm a nuclear warhead.
2. Prehistoric FedEx commercial - Okay, the anachronism of dinosaurs and cavemen bothered me at first, but the commercial redeemed itself with the whole "But FedEx doesn't even exist yet!"/"Not my problem." exchange.
3. Diet Pepsi, The Client commercials - I liked both of these commercials, but particularly the stunt double commercial featuring Jackie Chan. Swapping out the Diet Pepsi for Diet Coke was amusing. I wonder if Diet Coke could run with this though -- "Diet Coke: Tougher than Diet Pepsi."
4. Careerbuilder Monkey commercial - Monkeys are funny. Monkeys dressed up in business attire and partying in a conference room are funnier. Monkeys in business attire partying because the company growth chart is purposefully rotated 90 degrees? Hilarious.
5. NFL Dr. Seuss commercial - Ah, the places you'll go. I think this football-themed commercial was more interesting than the game itself. And it had Harrison Ford.

Least favorite:
Monster Hummer commercial
- Okay, maybe I just don't like their ginormous gas-guzzling SUVs. Maybe I'd rather not think about the love child of a city-rampaging robot and Godzilla's kid sister.

Most bizarre:
Emerald Nuts commercial - Um, say again???
Runner up:
Burger King Musical Number commercial
- Women dressed up as burger ingredients? Ooookaay. "Springtime for Whoppers and Burger King..."

No comments: