Monday, August 22, 2005

Back in the trenches

Yeah, I know, it's been a while.

Classes have started back up here at NDLS. I survived the intensive week of Trial Ad, and even had a lot of fun doing it. It was just like mock trial all over again... only there are a few things I need to change (
"You must unlearn what you have learned") -- those bad habits that mock trial teaches you because it's more about performance (Razzle Dazzle...) than actual trial work. Still, there's an undeniable thrill of giving an opening or closing, or getting up to do your cross examination, or even make a clever point on redirect. Good times.

It feels a bit strange being a 2L. All of a sudden there are a bunch of 1Ls running around, and they look pretty stressed out about law school already. It's hard to imagine I was the same way last year. The rest of the law school tends to look upon the 1Ls with something like bemusement. Classes seem less stressful now, in part because we know what to expect, and (at least for me) in part because we weren't assigned much reading for the first class. Both of my classes today, for example, were the "hand out the syllabus and introduce the course" variety as opposed to the "let's get started, Mr. Ho will you discuss the first case" variety. In short, very different from the typical 1L first class scenario. It's nice to be able to ease back into the law school groove.


That's not to say that 2Ls aren't experiencing their own brand of stress. Interview season has begun, so there are 2Ls dashing around in suits interviewing for a position in nine months that may lead to an actual job twenty-one months from now. You know, something that will help pay off the mountains of debt we're all accumulating. It doesn't matter that we've barely started our second year of law school, we're expected to land a job now. No pressure, or anything.

I'm pretty excited about my class lineup for this semester. In addition to Intensive Trial Ad, I'm also taking Evidence, Cyberlaw, Business Associations (BA), and Moot Court Appellate. I'm in class by 8:30 everyday, but at least I finish early (9:50 am) on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Finally, it's been nice to reconnect with my classmates. And instead of seeing everyone at once, I've been catching up with my comrades in arms a few at a time over the past few times. It's pretty much just as you'd expect a sequel to reintoduce the main characters. Everyone seems to have had a great summer, and most people seem happy to be back. Of course that will likely change a bit as soon as the good weather is replaced by snow and howling winds cutting across the South Bend tundra...

1 comment:

Brad said...

I generally agree with your sentiments about returning to law school once again. However, as a new 3L, I have noticed a distinctive laid-back attitude about my fellow classmates. I have also noticed I feel considerably less stressed than even one year ago. The 1Ls are fun to watch though.

This evening was my first trial advocacy class. Any time you have a federal judge who encourages the 15 of us to watch old Perry Mason episodes (the one where he had dark hair and was fairly thin) on the first day of class, you can leave the room with a positive feeling about the coming semester. Unlike you however, since I had no responsibility there whatsoever, I shouldn't have bad mock trial habits to break. Lucky me?