Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Springtime for South Bend, and Notre Dame

We're finally getting some good weather here in the 'Bend (I'm even posting this while sitting outside - yes, they do let us out of the law school dungeon from time to time). It's sunny and bright, there's a nice breeze, and best of all, no snow. This isn't to say that I'd be surprised if winter raised its nasty head again. It is South Bend after all, which means the weather here's about as predictable as it is in Ohio. (Don't like the weather? Wait a minute.) In general, I'm usually not a big fan of spring, but it for now it comes as a welcome relief to the bitter winter weather.

Of course the nice weather outside only underscores how bad things are in the classrooms at the law school. It's been insufferably stuffy. Unbearably warm. Oppressively hot. It's hard to absorb the finer nuances of implied easements and FRCP 23 when you're melting into your chair. I'm not alone in this complaint - everyone I've talked to has lamented the inferno.

Part of the problem is that the heating system in the law school is out of control. Personally, I think that the heat build up in the library stacks has finally built up to the point that the heat is escaping to the rest of the law school. Thermodynamics at work. The problem could be remedied by giant blocks of ice that would serve as heat sinks, but the ensuing flooding would be... problematic.


5 comments:

nugatory said...

Hey, WL. I think you left out the spring link. What was it?

I like that you gave us a brief thermo tutorial. Reminds me of the old days.

Inelastic collisions, with my Physics Professor Poirier. He hit his head on a barn door and called it an inelastic collision. Geeky joke.

Alex said...

Fixed the link. Thanks for the heads up.

D said...

AL!

You gotta check this out. It reminds me of the trebuchet....

Anonymous said...

Springtime for South Bend and Notre Dame...winter for Poland and Fraaaaaaaance :)

D said...

Where's the love for this weekend's plans? Show some love Ho. And clean off Grandpa's old golf bag, dust off your spikes, and find some tees - we're hitting the links.

Sounds like a broadway musical...