Wednesday, April 20, 2005

(Not so) Hot (Golf) Shots, Part Deux

After our round of golf on Saturday, everyone had such a great time that Derek reserved a tee time for Sunday morning. We had a foursome booked for 11 am. So Sunday morning started with me trying to wake Derek up. Anyone who knows Derek and his love of sleep will understand how difficult of a task this can be. Still, I managed and we were soon on our way.

Emily had emailed me to let me know that she wouldn't be accompanying us. Jaime had said something similar the night before, after The Princess Bride, but Derek thought he could persuade her to change her mind. She'd agreed to at least let us call her. But first we needed supplies - gas for Derek's car and chocolate for bribing. As we got back in the car, I called Jaime, who had decided not to go. Derek even tried to plead his case to her over the phone, but to no avail. He wanted to at least drive to the law school to give her the chocolate, but as we were already running late, we headed straight to the golf course.

We were close enough to being on time that we didn't get yelled at (unlike the day before). And since our party was now down to two, they paired us up with another twosome - two ND undergrads who were way out of our league. As for the golf... not so good. No one should be worried about me running off to join the pro tour. (Unless I actually go crazy and do so; in which case everyone should be very, very worried about how I'm going to survive.) It's really quite sad that I can probably chip farther than I can hit a ball with my driver off the tee. Still, we managed to get through the course in record time, and I posted a very good 18-hole score after playing 9 holes. Go ahead and think about that for a minute.

After that dreadful performance, we caught a quick bite at Subway before heading home. Derek chilled out on the couch to sleep/watch television. I did a little studying, then went about making dinner plans. No one was sure where to go or what they wanted to eat, so I made an executive decision to go to the Mishawaka Brewing Co. I made a reservation for 8, but in the end there were only 7 of us. Attending the evening's festivities were: Derek, me, Brooke, Lala, Meghan, Giancarlo, and Emily (we couldn't get a hold of Jaime). As the name implies, this restaurant makes its own beer. I had a raspberry wheat beer which was quite good, though next time I think I'll do what Giancarlo did and order the sampler - something like 8 different beers served in an equal number of small glasses. The food was good, the conversation was good, and an all-around good time was had by all. Derek did cause a little bit of a ruckus by slamming his hand down on the table repeatedly, causing the table to shake, the silverware to rattle, and Brooke and Emily to jump. Fortunately, Emily managed to prevail upon Derek to cut it out.

Next, Derek and I headed home where we watched Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. It was a thoroughly ridiculous movie, which one could probably anticipate based solely on the fact that the same director was responsible for Dude, Where's my Car? Still, it was funny. But I have no desire to eat at White Castle, so ultimately their marketing vehicle failed. Afterwards, we perused the DVD's many bonus features. Then Derek headed off to sleep (that boy does like to sleep), and I did a little studying before hitting the sack myself.

Monday morning saw me again trying to rouse Derek from his deep slumber so that he could make it back to the 'Nati in time for work. Fortunately, I didn't have ConLaw that morning (it was cancelled earlier that morning around 5 am - not everyone was as fortunate as me to read the email before heading to the law school). After a breakfast of pop tarts and OJ, Derek was on his way. All told, it was a fun and successful weekend. For Derek's recap, go here.

4 comments:

nugatory said...

I can appreciate Derek's sleep appreciation. I'm generally asleep for an hour after I'm awake.

Wrap your head around that!

D said...

Thanks for a great weekend Ho!

Roo from TwirlieGirls.com said...

You call it 'Nati? I'm just gonna start saying that Derek's from Natty Light!

D said...

To be perfectly fair, I only live about 5 miles out from Cincinnati proper (probably about 3 miles as the crow flies) thus I am full brew 'Nati. My parents house is about 17 miles out, thus they would be more along the lines of 'Nati Light.

And it is NATI, not NATTY. Cin - cin - NATI, not Cin - cin - natty.

We also respond to Cinci-tucky, but not as readily.