Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fairweather sherpa

Not that I had any plans to before, but I have now definitely decided that I will never attempt to scale Mt. Everest. No, I didn't just finish reading Into Thin Air, I'm not flashing back to two months ago when those people got stranded on a mountain, and it's not because of the civil unrest in Nepal.

I've decided that there is simply no way that I could take the cold. It was -2° outside yesterday, with a windchill making it feel like -26°. It's a bit warmer today (1°, -7° with windchill). But for the past two days the 15 minute walk between my apartment and the law school has been brutal. Even bundling up and thawing out mid-walk by cutting through the main library wasn't enough to stave off the bitter cold. The parts of my face that were not covered got numb, causing me to momentarily wonder if the grimace of pain would be permanently frozen to my face. And my legs, despite being in constant motion, were on the verge of losing feeling. Fortunately, my exposed flesh did not freeze in ten minutes as indicated in a Weather Service advisory.

I did play a sherpa in Gilbertson v. Everest Experience, but I'm clearly not cut out for the real thing. And while I'm sure I would wear warmer clothes if I were ever to trek up the face of Mt. Everest, I would have to be outside for far longer periods in temperatures that would make the past few days feel like summer.

Tenzing Norgay I am not.

2 comments:

D said...

And a damn good sherpa you were!

Maybe you can tell us...
What was going on in the AP Tent? (Was it the AP tent?)

Unknown said...

To learn more about the Sherpas, read Beyond the Summit--the first work to dramatize the lives of this amazing tribe in fiction. Details of the culture and religion are interwoven in a tale of romance and high adventure.

Barnes and Noble Review
Average Rating: *****
07/07/2006
"Best book on Nepal ever... This is the book to read before you embark on your pilgrimage to Nepal. The author knows and loves the people and the country, and makes you feel the cold thin air, the hard rocks of the mountains, the tough life of the Sherpa guides, and you learn to love them too. This is a higly literate, but also very readable book. Highly recommended."
-- John (college professor)

Amazon Reviews:

***** (5 stars) Truth and fiction
September 14, 2006
Reviewer:Bernhard Fassl (Utah, USA)
This book covers the daily lives of people in the Himalayas. It not even goes beyond the summit but beyond the Shangri_la image often painted by visitors, people in search of spirituality. The story in itself is immensely spiritual but not the circumstances under which life has to take place.
I represent a volunteer organization IPPG (International porter protection group, check us out at [...]) that gives high altitude porters a voice and I am depply touched by Linda LeBlanc's account which is more truth than fiction.
Bernhard Fassl MD

Below are selections from reviews. To read the complete ones and excerpts go to www.beyondthesummit-novel.com

A hard-hitting blend of adventure and romance which deserves a spot in any serious fiction collection. Midwest Book Review

LeBlanc is equally adept at describing complex, elusive emotions and the beautiful, terrifying aspect of the Himalayan Mountains. Boulder Daily Camera

LeBlanc's vivid description of the Himalayas and the climbing culture makes this a powerful read. Rocky Mt News Pick of the Week

A rich adventure into the heart of the Himalayan Kingdom. Fantastic story-telling from one who has been there. USABookNews.com

A gripping, gut-twisting expedition through the eyes of a porter reveals the heart and soul of Sherpas living in the shadows of Everest. EverestNews.com

Memorable characters and harrowing encounters with the mountains keep the action moving with a vibrant balance of vivid description and dialogue. Literary Cafe Host, Healdsburg, CA

This superbly-crafted novel will land you in a world of unimaginable beauty, adventure, and romance. The love story will keep you awake at night with its vibrant tension and deep rich longing. Wick Downing, author of nine novels

The book is available from amazon.com, chesslerbooks.com, Barnes & Noble and Borders Stores, and the web site for an autographed copy.