Friday, October 07, 2005

Razzle-dazzle weekend

"I Strenuously object? Is that how it works? Objection. Overruled. No, no, no, no, I strenuously object. Oh well if you strenuously object, let me take a moment to reconsider."
-- A Few Good Men

Just a quick post as I take a break from my trial prep for this weekend. It's going to be an all-Trial Ad, all the time weekend. I'll be in a total of four trials, two as lawyers, two as witnesses. Ah, just like the ol' mock trial days.


The two "important" trials are the ones in which I'll be a lawyer (as this is all part of a law school class). Saturday afternoon I'll be defending a liquor store which allegedly knowingly sold alcohol to someone who was allegedly intoxicated. (Note the use of "allegedly," the defense attorney's favorite word.) Then Sunday morning I'll be prosecuting a former police officer who brutally shot her boyfriend twice in the chest. (Note the absence of the word "allegedly.")

My co-counsel for both cases is Kristine, another former mocker. We're something of an unholy alliance -- she's a Michigan grad.

My witness roles: a police officer (somewhat less shady than Officer Gerch -- at least I won't be accused of planting evidence) and a Belgian marketing director.

It's like Mock Trial: Gold Edition -- now with all new features: juries and real judges!

I'm looking forward to it: the rush of adrenaline as you start an opening or closing; the satisfaction of pinning down a witness on cross; the momentary panic of an unexpected response; nervous pacing during the breaks... Ah, good times.

And I'm sure there'll be a number of interesting moments (think neglify, pot machines, and pits of shale -- if you're not familiar with these stories, I'll have to fill you in sometime) over the weekend. Look for a highlight reel of memorable moments sometime next week.

2 comments:

nugatory said...

Officer Benbrook, at your service.

So am I a key witness, or do I just establish facts.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Thank you for this.